Mondays are very busy in my house. My son has back to back appointments where we don’t get home until after 7pm, and are starving! I don’t want a microwave a meal, and don’t always batch cook the night before, so we need something quick and easy. This particular Monday I made barbecue chicken sandwiches with slaw. I wish I could take credit for this idea, but once again I was inspired by an article I read on bon appetit’s site, and saw a super yummy picture of a pulled chicken sandwich.
In an effort to save as much time as possible, I bought a rotisserie chicken, a bag of pre-chopped slaw, and a couple of hoagie rolls from the market during lunch. I was able to pull this all together in about 15 minutes, which was fantastic because we were both starving, and there was still homework that needed to be done. I’d like to think of this dinner as a semi homemade, since I still added a few ingredients to the chicken, and made the slaw. I was so happy with the dish that I think I may try to make this barbecue chicken sandwich with slaw again, but with homemade barbecue chicken.
barbecue chicken sandwiches with slaw
for the slaw:
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- 1 bag of pre-chopped slaw
for the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- ½ small onion (finely chopped onion)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 rotisserie chicken pulled apart with a fork
- 4 r sandwich rolls (split)
make the slaw:
- Whisk vinegar, mayonnaise, cilantro, and honey in a large bowl. Add pre-chopped slaw and toss to coat. Cover and chill.
make the chicken:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the bay leaf, barbecue sauce, vinegar, and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly reduced, about 10-15 minutes. Add the pulled chicken and stir until chicken is heated through. Fill rolls with chicken and slaw.