Lunch at Tupelo Honey

My folks came to town for a visit a little while back for school shopping, and to wish my son bon voyage as he started his sophomore year of high school. We popped into Tupelo Honey for lunch and a little break after hitting the mall.

We basically had the entire place to ourselves. It’s always a little unnerving when you don’t see anyone in a restaurant, but it was during the week, and we were past the lunch hour rush.

What we had:

Blueberry Sage Kentucky Mule
Crispy Brussels
Fried Green Tomatoes
Wicked Chicken Sandwich
Pimento & Fried Pickle Burger

Tupelo Honey

I almost never refuse a mule, or an old fashioned, so when I saw them both on the menu, it took me a while to decide. I went with the mule because I like the idea of blending fruit with herbs. It was a pretty decent cocktail, a little sweet, but good.

Tupelo Honey

The brussels sprouts could’ve been a meal itself. This is an item I never, ever, pass up on a menu. The brussels were nice and crispy, and for me, you can never go wrong with bacon on almost anything.  Except for s’mores. I saw a video the other day where someone made s’mores with bacon in place of the graham cracker. It looked pretty gross. But I digress! These were tasty, and I didn’t even make a snide comment when I saw that it was served with ranch. I thought it was a little odd, but it wasn’t bad.

Tupelo Honey

The fried green tomatoes were another surprise! They were firm, and had a nice crunchy coating. I’ve never had them served on top of grits, but since the grits were packed with goat cheese, I went with it. The grits were awesome. I just started eating grits a few years ago, though only with bacon and cheddar. The goat cheese added a very nice flavor, and complimented the red pepper coulis.

Tupelo Honey

I was very pleasantly surprised by the wicked chicken sandwich. It had a real kick! The batter was crispy, and the chicken was flavorful all the way through. The coolness of the slaw helped temper the heat, and had just the right amount of sweetness. It was a messy, glorious mess. As far as the pickle, I’ve gotten used to having pickles on my chicken sandwiches since moving to a part of the east coast that has a definite southern influence.

Tupelo Honey

I’m not sure where to begin with the burger. This wasn’t like a super thick pub style burger, but a little closer to the smash burgers you now see at Shake Shack, just a little thicker than that. I won’t debate about the size, because I gobbled it down in what felt like a few seconds, and wanted more. The burger was super filling and I loved, loved, the pimento cheese (a new fav). The fried pickles had a light tempura like batter that wasn’t oily at all, and had a nice, sour tang flavor.  Skip the side of greens though, unless your grandma is in the back kitchen.

I can honestly say that Tupelo Honey won me over completely as a southern style restaurant, but their burger definitely won my heart, and I would add it to my list of “burger spot’s” in the DMV area.

📍Tupelo Honey
     1616 N Troy St
     Arlington, Virginia

1. I love discovering new places 🙂

2. I’m still getting used to slaw on my sandwiches and pickles with fried chicken. Both are great though!

3. My mom LOVES them, and I’m starting to come around too. And it’s fried so what’s not to love?

4. Lol, me too! But I’m glad I gave it a shot.

5. Thanks! And I always make a mess when eating a burger.

6. myrabevlife says:

The food looks absolutely delicious and I agree it can be unnerving when you’re the only ones in the restaurant.

7. Emily says:

Oh all of that food is making me hungry! I love to try out new places to eat and this one would be on my list for sure if it was local to me.

8. Lisa says:

It all looks good. I’m a huge fan of fried green tomatoes. I once had them on a shrimp po’boy and it was amazing.

9. Liz Mays says:

I really want to try those fried green tomatoes. They look good! Your burger sounded really good too!

10. Anita says:

That looks delicious. I wish we had that here in Alabama. I can only imagine just how good that tasted. This will be a place I’ll have to check out the next time I’m in the area.

11. Jennifer says:

Wow, your food photos look amazing. I wish there was a location near us. I would love to try it out for myself.

12. kage2015 says:

Understand what you mean when a restaurant is empty. But from the looks of your photos your scored big time. Bet you plan on going back.

13. Oh my goodness, I’d be all over those fried green tomatoes. This sounds like the kind of place I would really enjoy dining at.

14. jmanandmillerbug says:

My stomach is growling just looking at all these pictures! I love when restaurants have their own little niche that no one else has! If I ever get out that way I will check this place out.

15. Jaime Nicole says:

You had me at fried green tomatoes! I’m a former southern girl and you just can’t get good ones where I live – I crave them!

16. That blueberry mule looks tasty! I’m definitely adding Tupelo Honey on my foodie list for my next visit to the DC area. Thanks for the review.

17. Julee says:

Oh. My. gosh! I need this place in my life. I LOVE me some crispy brussels. What an amazing plate of food you have and the ambiance looks so inviting. Here in the south we like slaw on sandwiches. Your meal looks delicious

18. Amber says:

All this food looks delicious. I am a HUGE fan of fried green tomatoes. Yum. I LOVE restaurants with southern food.

19. It always makes me nervous when a restaurant is empty. The food all looks like it was delicious.

20. Sarah Bailey says:

Oh my those burgers look absolutely fantastic, I can imagine I would make a bit of a mess eating one for sure. Good luck to your son starting his new year.