Genoa Salami Panini

If you haven’t noticed by now, I have a deep love for cheese. In almost any form, but I have a definite soft spot for mac and cheese and grilled cheese, or any food that make cheese the star. The other night I made a genoa salami panini with manchego and pepperoncini. I always wondered what the difference was between a grilled cheese and panini. From what I could find on the web, which wasn’t very clear, is that a panini is typically make on a nontraditional bread and is gilled.  Not unlike a grilled cheese which these days you can use just about any bread you can dream up. The only other difference was that the panini is usually pressed thin with a panini maker or with another pan if you’re going the more diy route.  For the sake of this post, I’m going to call my sandwich a genoa salami panini with manchego and pepperoncini. And what did I use as non-conventional bread?  Left over brioche buns from hamburgers I made a week before.

And by the way, the cheese was left over too. I made a cheese board a few days before and basically used whatever was left. There was mostly monchego, but I also added a little brie and cheddar. For a little kick I added thinly sliced pepperoncini. I had three buns left and quickly make them in a sauté pan with a pot on top of the sandwiches to press them and make them flat. They were so delicious. Let me say that again. So. Delicious. There was so much flavor bursting from the salami panini with manchego and pepperoncini that my bf and I fought over the last sandwich.  I think we were supposed to share the last one, but it became an 80/20 split 😊  This salami panini with manchego and pepperoncini is definitely going into rotation.

salami panini with manchego and pepperoncini

• 4 hamburger buns
  • 6 – 8 ounces manchego cheese (sliced thin or your favorite cheese)
  • 12 slices of genoa salami
  • 4-6 pepperoncini peppers sliced thin
  • Olive oil for the pan
  1. Heat a large skillet or gilled pan to medium. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Place four half of the hamburger buns (the inside of the bun should face the pan) in the pan. Add a layer of cheese to cover the bread. Place about 4 slices of genoa salami on each bun half, then sliced pepperoncini (as much as desired), then layer with more cheese. I like to cover with a lid while the cheese is melting. Once the cheese is melted on the bottom and you can see it melting on top, add the other bun half, and top with a heavy pot or simply press firmly with a spatula to flatten. Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the bun is golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting.

1. toastycritic says:

I have made some delicious homemade paninis in a press in my time. You can do all kinds of wonderful variants. This recipe looks and sounds delicious.

2. adriana says:

This looks incredible!!! I am such a lover for all of these Italian meats haha I get it from my dad! Paninis are my favorite food – I have to try your recipe!

3. This sandwich recipe looks amazing. I love a good panini with that deliciously melted cheese and grilled bread flavor! Thanks for sharing.

4. I love panini! It’s one of the best ways to enjoy a sandwich especially if you have salami and cheese. I think this is perfect and I can’t wait to try the recipe one of these days.

5. I am not big on cheese on my sandwiches but can you believe I harm it down on a panini, not sure why maybe its because its melted.

6. I’ve got an obsession with cheese too! This panini looks so good! I’ll have to try it soon.

7. I love it too! I think grilled cheese should have it’s own food group.

8. Cheese would be on my “stranded island” list.

9. Thanks! It became an instant classic with the bf and I.

10. Me either! I just happened to have some in the fridge 🙂

11. Thanks, but you can always press it with a pot or just mash it flat with a spatula. That’s what I used to do before my folks gave me one.

12. Anita says:

That looks amazing! I would definitely give that a try. Never thought about a Salami Panini until now and NOW I want one!

13. kage2015 says:

Time for me to drag out my panini and start using it again. This sandwich looks and sounds so good. You have inspired me.

14. This panini is making my mouth water. I love salami and paninis so this is a winning combination in my book!

15. Sarah Bailey says:

Now this is right up my street, I am absolutely a huge fan of paninis and using salami in one with cheese, well yes please!

16. jmanandmillerbug says:

We LOVE salomi here! I don’t have a panini maker anymore but we will do a grilled cheese with salami on it. It is SOOO good!

17. Me too! Sometimes I freeze the buns, but this time I wanted to be a little more creative. And you don’t need a panini maker to have great pressed sammy’s. I’ve made great sammy’s with a waffle maker 🙂

18. swood97 says:

I love stretching the budget by using leftover special breads for fun food like your Genoa Salami Panini. It looks scrumptious! I don’t have a panini maker but I have a waffle iron and have used it for sandwiches! They were quite yummy!

19. Alli Smith says:

Last night I made homemade vegetable soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Wish I had seen this post yesterday because I would have made these instead. Your Genoa Salami Panini looks amazing!