Ginger Molasses Cookies

Ginger Molasses Cookies

Ginger Molasses Cookies

Ginger Molasses Cookies

Back when I had my little cookie business edith + ethel, ginger molasses cookies was on the menu. I must say, they’re one of my favorites. I would make tons of ginger molasses cookies for gift boxes during the holidays.  That was back when I was a stay at home mom, and had slightly more time on my hands. Now I’m a single mom with a full time job, and a teenager, so I had to say good bye to edith + ethel. I really didn’t mind that much.  I baked so many cookies that it was nice to take a break and try other things.  But the other day, I found myself craving a ginger molasses cookie, and almost forgot that I once baked them!

I dug out my handwritten recipe, covered in a plastic sheet protector, but spotted with various butter and oil stains that seeped in. I was practically on autopilot while throwing the dough together, and asked Miles to help for nostalgia’s sake. They were just as good as I remembered; lightly crunchy on the outside, and chewy on the inside. I love looking at the cracks in the cookies, revealing the glisten from the raw sugar. They were perfect with one exception. I ran out of crystalized ginger. That really makes the cookie.  I love the little bursts of spicy ginger!  I’m so glad that I remembered this cookie. I’m going to have to put it back into rotation for the holidays. But this time, it’s just for my family.

ginger molasses cookies

• 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoons ground cloves
  • ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup molasses (not blackstrap)
  • ¼ cup crystalized ginger (chopped small)
  • turbinado sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar and spices until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Add the egg and molasses and mix until blended. On low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate it.

Spread the turbinado sugar into a small bowl. Using a medium scoop, roll the dough between the palms of your hands into a ball, toss the ball in sugar to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the tops feel firm but they are still soft in the center and there are several large cracks on top, about 12-14 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

1. Putting crystallized ginger in the cookies gives it a nice kick.

2. Ginger snaps are my favorite too! These are more crunchy out on the outside, chewy on the inside.

3. Lisa says:

These look so yummy! I can’t wait to try them! Adding ginger is a great idea!

4. Liz Mays says:

There’s something comforting about molasses cookies and these ones sound particularly good. I wouldn’t mind baking some.

5. Claudia Krusch says:

I have not had ginger molasses cookies in so long. I used to make them all the time. I will have to give this recipe a try on the weekend. I bet they will be a hit in the cookie exchange.

6. Molasses and ginger always make me think of fall. It’s getting chilly here so I need to make these cookies.

7. Kita Bryant says:

I LOVE how thin these are. For some reason, I prefer cookies like this to the big fluffy ones. I feel like I’m eating cake.

8. Sarah Bailey says:

Oh my goodness how delicious do these sound I have to admit I don’t think I’ve tried a molasses cookie before but I am all for trying it especially with ginger.

9. Anita says:

My sweet tooth has just been awaken! These look so good. I never had ginger molasses cookies before, but I think I may give this recipe a try. Especially now since it’s the fall. It would be perfect!

10. Paula Schuck says:

OH MY How perfect these look. When I bake it never looks quite that perfect. This is a flavour combination that I love. Everything ginger makes me happy actually. I will pin this for later. Thanks.

11. Jennifer says:

Molasses cookies were my grandma’s favorite. They are now a favorite of mine and my daughter. We could both eat these every day.

12. heatherwnac says:

YUM! It’s the perfect time of year to get that ginger out and start baking! I love the way that it tastes – and the bonus is your house smells amazing too! Can’t wait to try these

13. jmanandmillerbug says:

I absolutely love molasses cookies. Whenever I eat one it brings me back to my childhood and my grandma baking these. I’ve never thought about putting ginger in it but I think I want to try it.

14. Amber says:

Mmm, I love all things ginger so I’ll have to make these soon! They look so amazing.

15. kage2015 says:

This cookie reminds me of grandma’s house. She always made old fashion cookies like this. Don’t think she ever made a chocolate chip cookie in her life. They were delicious.

16. myrabevlife says:

These look absolutely delicious though I have never tried Ginger molasses before I definitely would love to.

17. Alli Smith says:

Ginger Snaps are my favorite fall cookies, so I know I’ll love your Ginger Molasses Cookies. They look like they have that crunch I love! Pour me a glass of milk – yum!

18. Vera Sweeney says:

Yes! A thousand times YES! I need these in my life. I love molasses and ginger. I love it on chicken. I love it chops. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it in cookies. Yummo!

19. Bill Sweeney says:

Get in my belly, you delicious ginger/molasses bite of heaven! Om nom nom nom.

20. Jennifer says:

Those look so good! I love molasses cookies, and that addition of ginger sounds amazing.