Chorizo Mac and Cheese

Chorizo Mac and Cheese

Chorizo Mac and Cheese

Chorizo Mac and Cheese

My office had a little summer party complete with margarita machines (virgin of course), chips, salsa, guacamole, and cheese dip. By the end of the party, we were left with a rather large amount of Chihuahua cheese. Not wanting anything to go to waste, I took the cheese home, and immediately thought of making chorizo mac and cheese. I love anything with cheese, and love coming up with different ways to make mac and cheese. I’ve never made a mac with only one cheese, and wondered if the Chihuahua’s flavor would be strong enough to be the star of this dish.

This chorizo mac and cheese was surprisingly rich! I’ve had Chihuahua cheese in quesadillas before, but this was totally different.  The cheese was very creamy with the intensity of sharp cheddar, but buttery rich, and a touch salty, but in a good way. The chorizo I found at the market was milder than expected, but I still enjoyed the flavor. I tore into the first plate. After going back for seconds, I realized that I couldn’t finish it.  It was really that rich!  Would I make this again?  I think so, but I would add a bit more heat, and serve it as a side dish.

chorizo mac and cheese

• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (plus more for greasing)
  • 4 ounces chorizo
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 4 ounces about1 cup chihuahua cheese, shredded plus more for the top
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • 8 ounces elbow macaroni or other tubular pasta
  • ¼ to ½ cup panko bread crumbs
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a shallow 1 ½-quart gratin dish.

Heat the 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over moderate heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp and browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate. Set aside.

Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the milk and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add ¼ cup of the blue and fontina cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Season with salt and pepper, and keep the sauce warm over very low heat. At this point, feel free to add a little more cheese to your taste.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling well-salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well and add the pasta to the cheese sauce, stirring well to coat. Stir in the reserved bacon.

Pour the mac and cheese into the gratin dish, then top with the remaining blue and fontina cheese.

Bake until golden and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with snipped or finely chopped chives before serving, if desired.

This recipe was adapted from food+wine.

1. countryheartdeb says:

Oh yum this looks amazing. Mac and cheese is one of our favourite meals!

2. I love me some mac and cheese with steak and wine. I need to try this recipe. – yolonda

3. sara says:

I love the addition of chorizo to the mac and cheese. My son would love this dish. It is such a comforting meal.

4. Lynndee says:

Our son is a big fan of mac and cheese and Chorizo, but I’ve never thought of combining the two together. Bet it’s delish!

5. I’ve had a lot of bland mac and cheese too but I think it comes down to the type of cheese you use. For regular mac I use fontina, asiago and white cheddar. Yum!

6. Gabriel Bregg says:

Never thought of Chorizo, but that could make me love Mac and Cheese for sure. Normally I think it’s unbelievable bland.

7. I’ve never heard of mixing chorizo with mac and cheese before but this sure spice things up. Trying different ways to make mac and cheese sure is fun. 🙂

8. Ricci says:

I love a good mac and cheese recipe and the chorizo in this recipe makes it sound amazing!! I will have to try this for sure!!

9. Eloise says:

that looks AMAZING! I’m going to have to make this very soon as my tastebuds are trying to jump out of my mouth and land on the computer screen! Thanks for the recipe, saved it!

10. Looks yummy. I love chorizo, but I’ve never tried adding it to my mac cheese. This is something I should try.

11. Homemade macaroni and cheese is the best. I’d never think to add chorizo. I’ll have to make this one!

12. mimicutelips says:

This sounds really delicious! I love a good mac and cheese and the quality of cheese is so important. I need to put a spin on mine and see what I can come up with.

13. I have never tried chorizo let alone chorizo mac and cheese! I will have to just do this! I have to say yours looks just the way I love it! Baked to a point of it having that nice crunch on top!

14. Ahhh! That looks so amazing! Mac and cheese is one of my family’s favorite dishes, and I love trying new variations on it. Thanks!