I’ve had my eye on this skillet sweet potato cornbread recipe for a while now. The novelty of baking with my cast iron skillet has yet to wear off and I’m still looking for anything to bake with it. Eventually, I will move on to cooking more with it. So far I’ve made chicken strips for Miles with fabulous results.
But back to cornbread. I was very curious about adding sweet potato to corn. I wasn’t sure if it would taste more like sweet potato, or corn. Would it be too sweet and spicy taking away from what I love about cornbread? It was time to bake and find out. I found that one medium sized sweet potato perfectly produced one level sized cup mashed. I also debated over whether to use dark or light brown sugar. My gut said dark, but I was out, so I went with light and I think it still worked well. The honey I used was a standard honey, but I did have a buckwheat honey in my cupboard and I’m thinking about trying it out in this recipe next time.
As you can tell, I really liked this corn bread. It was just as moist as traditional cornbread, but the addition of the sweet potato provided a light and delicate flavor. And it wasn’t too sweet! I was a little nervous of it tasting like Jiffy (which I love, but, was looking for something slightly earthier). I think this cornbread would be great with chili, something I haven’t made in a very long time, so now I have an excuse!
Skillet Sweet Potato Corn Bread
- 2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar ((dark is fine too if you prefer))
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 4 eggs (, room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- Special equipment: 9 or 10 in cast iron skillet ((or an 8×8 square baking pan))
- Do ahead: Wrap sweet potato in heavy foil and roast about 1hours at 425°F in the oven. Once it can easily be pierced with fork, it’s done. Carefully unwrap (it’s hot!) and let cool enough to handle. Mash sweet potato. Measure out 1 cup for use in this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the mashed sweet potato, eggs, buttermilk, honey and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a cast-iron skillet; use a spatula to smooth to an even layer if needed. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Serve the cornbread in the skillet.
Adapted from the cooking channel