I’ve noticed on more than one occasion I’ve stated that I’m not really fond of pumpkin desserts and yet I keep baking pumpkin desserts. I guess I’ll have to officially change my mind because I really do like pumpkin desserts! I’m definitely more of a fan of pumpkin scones and pumpkin bread, but this pumpkin cake with bourbon cream cheese frosting won me over.
I made pumpkin whoopie pies a while ago just to try something different and made the filling with bourbon. If you haven’t noticed by now, I no stranger to boozy desserts. While I thought the whoopie pie was good, it didn’t really blow me over (I’m not a whoopie pie person in general, although they were delicious), so I thought I would turn the concept of the boozy whoopie pie into a boozy cake.
After tasting this cake, I became a pumpkin believer! The cake was nice and moist and reminded me of carrot cake in the sense that it was a nice flavorful spice cake, and you can never go wrong with a little boozy frosting. I liked it so much, I actually kept a couple of slices for myself before sharing it with my coworkers. If you’re still looking for a last minute dessert, this would be a great recipe!
Pumpkin Cake with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting
for the cake
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of ground clove
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (, softened)
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil (, divided)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups (15 oz) canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk ((I used whole))
for the frosting
- 12 oz . cream cheese (, softened)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (, softened)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup bourbon
- Dash of salt
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups powdered sugar (, or more for desired consistency)
Make the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 3 9-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with a round of parchment paper, butter parchment and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove for 20 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and 3 Tbsp of the vegetable oil until pale and fluffy (occasionally scrape down sides and bottom of bowl throughout mixing process). Mix in remaining ¼ + 1 Tbsp vegetable oil. Blend in eggs one at a time, adding in vanilla with last egg. In a bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together pumpkin with milk. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with half of the pumpkin mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter among three prepared cake pans and spread batter into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 30 – 35 minutes. Cool in cake pans 15 minutes, then run a knife around edge of cake to loosen and invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Frost cake with cream cheese frosting.
make the frosting
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla, bourbon and powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined, then increase to medium and whip until pale and fluffy (if frosting is runny, cover and refrigerate just until it no longer is runny before spreading on cake).
Adapted from cooking classy