Sour Cream Doughnuts

Sour Cream Donuts

Sour Cream Donuts

Sour Cream Donuts

Sour Cream Donuts

After spending the past couple of weeks baking donuts, I found myself craving a good old-fashioned sour cream fried donut.  I found a fantastic recipe that makes perfect crispy on the outside, dense and moist on the inside sour cream donut.

My favorite sour cream donut was the one my parents and I would buy at our local grocery store chain before they went out of business.  We tried going to Dunkin Donuts and other small donut shops, but none of them came close, until now.  This is the donut of my childhood and now my son’s childhood because he loved them!  For the first time in years, I sat down with a donut and a tall glass of cold milk.  It was perfect.

Sour Cream Donuts

for the donuts

• 2 ¼ cup cake flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter (, at room temperature)
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • Canola oil (, for frying)

for the glaze

• 3 ½ cup powdered sugar (, sifted)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons corn syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup hot water

for the donuts

1. In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until sandy. Add the egg yolks and mix until light and thick. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream, ending with the flour. The dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
  3. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about ½ inch thickness. Use a doughnut cutter or two differently sized biscuit cutters to cut out as many donuts as possible, dipping the cutters into flour as necessary to prevent sticking. You should get about 12 donuts and holes.
  4. Pour 2 inches of canola oil into a heavy bottomed pot with a deep-fry thermometer attached. Heat to 325°F. Fry the donuts a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry on each side about 2 minutes, being careful not to let them burn. Let drain on a paper bag to soak up the excess grease.

for the glaze

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until smooth. Immerse each doughnut into the glaze. Place on a wire rack above a sheet pan to catch any excess glaze. Let sit for 20 minutes until glaze is set. Donuts are best served the day they are made but may be store in an air tight container at room temperature for a few days.

1. Thanks! Did you have fun making them? I do 🙂

2. adriana says:

Well I have never heard of these, but YUM! I actually just made my own donuts a few weeks ago but they were just plain ones. These look great!

3. That’s what I do with most of the thinks I bake.

4. I live for doughnuts! Well and cheese too 🙂

5. I ate three quickly without even thinking!

6. Kita Bryant says:

Donuts make me go nuts! This is a really useful recipe in my house!

7. myrabevlife says:

I love donuts and could eat them all day but I have never actually tried sour cream doughnuts before. These look really yummy and delicious

8. Lynn White says:

These are my favorite donuts! I’m going to have to make them and take the rest to work so I don’t eat them all! Lol

9. Mimi Green says:

I’m so making these. I love doughnuts but I’ve never made them. They would be perfect with my hot tea I’m currently sipping.

10. Oh yum. Donuts are one of the best culinary inventions ever! I have to try this recipe with sour cream. It looks interesting, and oh the glaze! Delicious!

11. franckxethee says:

This looks even better than the one at Krispy Kreme. I would surely love this one and might eat several doughnuts. – Franc

12. There are two types of donuts that are my favorite…the Krispy Kreme original and sour cream! I need to make these!

13. Now sour cream pancakes sound yummy! I’d like to try that.

14. My grandma did the same thing!

15. I don’t think I ever tried sour cream donuts but I am totally intrigued. IN fact, I would love to make these this weekend. They look gorgeous!

16. I miss good old fashioned donuts like these. I need to give this recipe a whirl for a taste of my childhood.

17. kage2015 says:

Haven’t meant a donut we didn’t like. These look darn good.

18. jmanandmillerbug says:

Besides glazed these are my all time favorite donuts! They are simple and yummy! I have never tried to make these at home before, but I think it would be fun to try it!

19. Shared on my FB page! OMG, these look awesome. Great photography too!