Mmmm grilled cheese. I will never tire of them. So far there hasn’t been a grilled cheese I wouldn’t turn down. Except maybe for a mushroom grilled cheese. I just don’t like mushrooms enough. I recently saw a pic of a grilled cheese with jalapeno poppers and bacon and immediately went to the market to buy the ingredients.
A jalapeno grilled cheese with bacon? My mind was in a haze while I walked around the store looking for the ingredients. I have a theory on cheese. I use whatever is on hand, or my favorite things to do is going to what I call the “bargain” bin cheese bowl at Whole Foods. They always have random small cuts of cheese that can’t really be sold in the cheese area, so for example you can get an ounce of raclette for just a couple of bucks. It’s also a great way to experiment with trying out different cheese without spending too much money.
This grilled cheese was pretty fantastic. You can never go wrong with cheese and bacon, and the tanginess of the jalapeno was great. This was a little time consuming for a grilled cheese, but the results were well worth the wait. Having a little glass of wine while I waited didn’t hurt either!
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese with Bacon
- 2 jalapenos sliced lengthwise seeds and membranes removed
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices bacon crispy cooked
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese ((I used raclette and smoked cheddar))
- 4 slices sourdough bread ((or whatever good bread you have on hand))
- Pats of butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fill each jalapeno half with approximately 1 ounce of cream cheese. Bake stuffed jalapenos on cookie sheet for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place 1 slice of cheese on each bread slice. Each sandwich will have both kinds of cheese. Slice stuffed jalapenos into bite size pieces. Add jalapeno slices to one side of the bread and 2 slices of bacon to the other side. Combine slices of bread to form 2 sandwiches.
- Grill each sandwich until lightly browned. Turn and cook until light browned on other side, Cheese should be melted and gooey.
- Optional: Add a little juice from a jar of jalapenos if you have any. I mixed it with the cream cheese for an extra kick.
Adapted from small town woman