Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting5
Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting9
Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting2
Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting7

I’ve realized that by now, most of the things I make are born out of curiosity, being lucky enough to have an ingredient on hand, or by way of cleaning out my cupboards.  This recipe would fall in the latter.  I’ve had a box of graham crackers for a while now from when I made chocolate chip graham cracker cookies and even used them for my peanut butter sandwich cookies, but I still had half a box left over.

Then I saw this recipe for a graham cracker cake.  It seemed interesting, but I was really intrigued when I saw that graham crackers were the predominate ingredient.  I was curious to know if 1 ½ cups of graham cracker crumbs with only ½ cup of flour would produce a traditional fluffy cake with a light crumb, or a dense moist cake like a pound cake.

The result was a little of both.  The cake rose higher than expected and it was moist and light, but with a slightly hearty texture as if I baked with a grain.  The cake was delicious.  At first it tasted like a yellow cake but finished with a nice graham cracker flavor.  The chocolate frosting was great too.  I think I would make this again with a toasted marshmallow filling and turn it into a s’more cake.  Yum!

Graham Cracker Cake with Chocolate Frosting

• ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs ((from about 20 squares))
  • 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ cup unsalted butter (, softened)
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup milk
  • your favorite chocolate frosting
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 6-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder and set aside. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
  2. Add the flour mixture and the milk a little bit at a time, alternating between each. Mix thoroughly but be careful not to overbeat. Divide the batter evenly between your two prepared pans. Bake for about 35 minutes (or until golden brown and starting to pull away from the sides of the pans).
  3. Cool in the pans for at least 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before frosting and assembling.

Adapted from Food52

1. I was shocked when I saw this and super happy when I saw that it worked!

2. Ana says:

It looks perfectly delicious. I honestly had no idea that graham crackers could be used like this.

3. Amanda Kruse says:

I absolutely love cake! Definitely going to have to try this some time!

xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

4. This is such an interesting idea! I’ve never even heard of Graham Crackers used in baking for anything other than a crust. This cake looks delicious, so I definitely must try!

5. Okay this looks incredible.. When I was a kid, by mom would always take graham crackers & frosting and make little sandwiches for our after school snack! This recipe brings back some memories, I will have to make it soon!

6. This looks delicious! I need to try this soon!

7. Thanks! It was such a happy surprise. I really like this cake ☺️

8. This sounds SO GOOD. I love chocolate…and graham crackers. There’s no way this could be bad! Must try!!

Molly // Miss Molly Moon

9. That’s great! I hope you like it 🙂

10. Andy says:

Curiosity does make the best results! 😀 I love this, thank you! I have a gigantic sweet tooth and I keep repeating the same stuff all over again, either cake or browies! I need to expand my horizons. lol I actually am saving this link, I will make it this week for St. Pattys Day! 😀

11. Holy amazing! I love this, such a unique idea. Now if I can only figure out how to make it gluten and dairy free… 🙂

12. Yes! I wasn’t sure if it would work, but it did

13. Alexandra says:

So the graham cracker crumbs take the place of most of the flour – love it! And I’m sure my grands would too.

14. Great! I’m so glad it was a success 🙂

15. Cathy says:

Perfect, moist and everyone loved it. Wouldn’t change a thing. Most graham cracker cakes are very hard and crumble, not this one.

16. I hope you try it! You’ll be surprised at how delicious it is!

17. Razena Schroeder says:

I only see graham crackers used in American cheesecake recipes so this is a lovely change… love that swirled frosting!!!! I bought a packet a few weeks ago and now I can make something other than cheesecake 🙂

18. Oh My, this looks such a great cake and that chocolate frosting swirls look crazy delicious yum!