Peach and Blueberry Dump Cake with Pecans

Peach and Blueberry Dump Cake
Peach and Blueberry Dump Cake3
Peach and Blueberry Dump Cake2
Peach and Blueberry Dump Cake1

I had no idea dump cakes were a thing.  Growing up, my grandmother would make dump cakes that consisted of canned pineapple, canned cherry pie filling, a box of yellow cake mix, pecans and butter.  I hated the fruit, but I loved the salty, buttery, sweet, fruity cake with pecans.  After my grandmother passed away, my dad picked up the slack and started making them.  As I grew older and more snobby about eating processed foods, I found it to be too sweet and I no longer like the canned pie filling, so I stopped eating them.

I was so surprised to see dump cakes appear on Pinterest!  It instantly reminded me of my childhood and I have the craving to make one.  This time I would try it with a homemade cake mix.  Ideally I wanted to make on with rhubarb and strawberries, but rhubarb season is over and I couldn’t find any frozen, so I went with peaches and blueberries.

I can’t say it tasted just as I remembered, it was better.  I loved the peach and blueberry combination and I’m not even that big a fan of peaches. It has to be one of the most unattractive desserts I’ve ever made, but as we know, it’s not always about looks!

Peach & Blueberry Dump Cake with Pecans

for the dump cake

• ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, cubed, plus more for pan
  • All-purpose flour ((for pan))
  • 1 pound sliced frozen peaches ((about 4 cups))
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries ((about 2 cups))
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cake mix ((see recipe below) or 1 (16-ounce) box store-bought yellow cake mix)
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup pecans (, chopped)

for the homemade cake mix

• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt

make the cake mix

1. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl or airtight container.

make the dump cake

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 13×9″ baking dish. Arrange peaches and blueberries in a single layer in prepared dish. Top evenly with sugar and add vanilla. Shake pan gently to cover fruit with sugar. Sprinkle cake mix and cinnamon over fruit and shake gently again to combine. Dot evenly with ¾ cup cubed butter and top with pecans. Bake cake until surface springs back to the touch and cake is set and golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Adapted from epicurious

1. lanette says:

that makes sense. i was just trying to cut back a lil on sugar, but ill use the pie filing. thanks!

2. Lanette, this one is a little out of my territory. I would think that you’d need the liquid from the pie filling or least thaw the frozen berries and add sugar to them to create a little juice.

3. lanette says:

hello again…so I was wondering…if i want to use frozen blueberries instead of the blueberry pie filling, do i have to thaw them out first, like in the microwave or just use them frozen?

4. lanette says:

thank you!! I’m going to try it with the applesauce and apple juice! so glad it turned out good and great pics!!

5. lanette says:

hello. i dont see your new post.

6. I had to try this for myself. I hope you see my new post!

7. I’m not sure about the coconut oil. I think the reason why butter works is because it’s has a bit of water in it. I’m totally guessing however. I’m definitely going to try it this weekend with applesauce and apple juice. I’m very curious now to know if it will work!

8. lanette says:

ok, one more question…for now, lol. can i substitute coconut oil for the butter as the last step before baking? i have acne prone skin and I’m trying to stay away from butter/oils and am trying to find best alternative in making these dump cakes. what would u recommend?

9. I would keep it in the fridge. You can always reheat portions in the microwave or oven.

10. Really? You’ve inspired me to try this for myself. I’m guess that the applesauce was too dense? I’m going try it this weekend and hopefully post on Monday:)

11. lanette says:

so, i made the cake with the applesauce, the sauce kind of just sat on the top of the mix as an additional layer, i even tried cooking it an additional 20 mins, but remained the same. its still edible and good but tastes like a thick layer of applesauce with powder underneath.

12. lanette says:

whats the best way to store cake when done? refrigerator, kitchen counter?

13. I’ve never tried it, but I think it would be ok. The cake mix should absorb the apple sauce the same way the butter is absorbed. I don’t think it can hurt to try 🙂

14. lanette says:

what i meant to ask was is it ok in general to use applesauce to top the dump cake with before cooking it instead of layering it with butter, any dump cake. all of the dump cake recipes call for butter or oil as the last step before baking, i would like to use applesauce.

15. Hmmm, that’s a great question! I would be tempted to try it. I know applesauce makes a good substitute for box mixes in general, so think it may be ok. Hope this helps 🙂

16. lanette says:

i want to make your recipe fro dump cake but would like to use applesauce instead of any butters/oils. am i able to?