I was in a pie baking mood, but I wasn’t in a go to the store to buy the ingredients mood. I was lucky enough to have the ingredients to make a chocolate chess pie which is something I’ve never made before. I’m also still trying to understand what a chess pie is.
The pie itself comes together like a pecan pie. It took minutes to put together the filling and I baked it until it barely jiggled. The results were great! The pie had a nice deep dark chocolate flavor and the texture was very creamy. I shared it with my son, friends and coworkers and now I have requests for chocolate pie for Christmas!
Chocolate Chess Pie
for the pie crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- ¼ to ½ cup ice water
for the pie filling
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1- oz .chopped dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup half and half ((or evaporated milk))
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (, sifted)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
make the crust
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.
- With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten into a discs and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Unused dough can be frozen and stored in the freezer for one month.
make the pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll piecrust into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch tart pan or pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp. In a medium sauce pot over low heat melt butter and chopped chocolate until melted and smooth. Whisk in half and half, eggs, and vanilla. Stir together sugars and next 3 ingredients. Add sugar mixture to chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake pie at 350° for 40 – 50 minutes until set. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
Adapted from Southern Living