This recipe has been on my “to do” list for a while now. I first saw it on Buns In My Oven’s blog and thought it was such an original and creative idea for a cookie. I have to admit that I’m a little jealous. I love baking and the process of baking and cooking but I don’t seem to have a creative bone I my body when it comes to creative baking ideas.
Since I’ve started testing recipes for The Washington Post, I’ve realized that this is what I do for my blog. Most of the recipes I post I’ve discovered through other blogs, Pinterest, magazines or just surfing the web because they either sound or look interesting and I’m testing them for myself. Anyway, back to the chocolate chip graham cracker cookie.
If you love graham crackers, you’ll love this cookie. The texture is a little different from your typical soft batch cookie. The texture has a little grain, but it’s nothing but graham cracker goodness. I could totally see adding marshmallows and turning this into a s’more cookie!
Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Pat the dough lightly to flatten the dome. Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will look slightly underdone, but should set up nicely as they cool.
Adapted from Buns in My Oven