So when he sends out a group text announcing that he’s made a batch, hearing the farm mom ring her triangle on the porch steps. You stop what you’re doing and head over to his house.
I promised to make a pear pie with red wine and rosemary (a recipe I saw on Bon Appetit) but there was no time. I hadn’t gone to the market and didn’t have much in the house.
I decided to whip up a batch of brownies. I always have those ingredients on hand, and it’s easy and fast to prepare. I decided to be fancy and add a peanut swirl.
I’ve found that you can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate, and these tasted like squares of peanut butter cups. Every now and then you get a little burst of sweet peanut butter combined with fudgy chocolate.
The brownies were a hit, but I still owe him that pie.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Your favorite brownie recipe ((that bakes in a 13×9 inch pan))
Peanut Butter Swirl
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Make the brownies
- Prepare your favorite brownie recipe.
Make the frosting
- Combine peanut butter and butter in a medium bowl and beat until well blended. Add powdered sugar, salt, nutmeg, milk and vanilla and beat until combined. Spread evenly over brownies.
Make the swirl
- Place spoonful’s of frosting evenly on top of the brownie batter spacing them about an inch apart. Using a knife, swirl the peanut butter frosting through the brownie batter, pulling lengthwise and crosswise. Bake brownies according to instructions or until and inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let brownies cool to at least room temperature.