I found the idea of baking ice cream mixed with flour so interesting, that I had to try it again. This time I was going to put a little more thought into the flavor. I decided on a ginger ice cream and added crystalized ginger, lemon zest, and a little lemon juice. I also made a lemon glaze to put on top.
This one didn’t bake as high as the Karamel Sutra loaf, but the flavor was more interesting. Well not more interesting, but you had more of an idea of what you were eating. I found myself still wanting to tweak it though. If I did this again (and I probably will), I would add more vanilla, or lemon.
Ginger Lemon Ice Cream Bread
- 1 pint of ginger ice cream
- 1 ½ cup self rising flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystalized ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a loaf pan. Let the ice cream sit out on the counter until soft. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Combine all ingredients in a mixer with a paddle attachment and combine until smooth.
- Smooth batter in pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, combine the juice of one lemon with the confectioner’s sugar, adding enough sugar to reach your desired thickness. Pour over bread and let cool completely.