I thought I’d ease into 2017 with these simple and comforting s’more bars. They satisfy every need you have for the campfire treat in a nice homemade bar, and it’s a lot of fun to make with your family. I’ve even been able to get Miles, who’s on the brink of becoming a sullen teenager, to help me with this recipe. Although I think most of the marshmallows and chocolate chips went into his mouth instead of the pan!
We had so much fun cutting into them while they were still warm watching the marshmallow stretch as we cut the squares. For an even more decadent treat, you could experiment with toasting the marshmallows with a torch or running the pan under the broiler for a minute or two before topping the pan with more dough. Unfortunately, I didn’t think of this until after I baked this pan, but now I have another reason to try it again.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (semi sweet is fine)
- 1 ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper leaving a little overhang on the side.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture until just combined. Press 2/3 of the batter into the bottom of the pan as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and marshmallows on top of the cookie mixture. Carefully press the remaining 1/3 of cookie batter on top of the chocolate chips and marshmallow. It’s ok if not all of it is covered. That’s more marshmallow and chocolate chip goodness for you!
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown. Let the bars cool about 15 minutes before cutting.