For some reason, I always seem to have marshmallows and rice krispies in the house. Instead of questioning why, I was thankful because I was really in the mood for something sweet and marshmallow treats would be perfect! For fun, I added toasted coconut and made coconut marshmallow treats.
At first, I couldn’t taste any coconut, but once I let them fully cool (I have a bad habit of eating them right out of the pot), you could really taste the coconut. The coconut flavor really shined through the next day. Marshmallow treats are another one of those quick and easy sweets that you could add just about anything too and make it great. Of course, I added a few non-perils to be festive.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 package (about 40) large marshmallows
- 5 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the coconut evenly on a baking sheet and bake for until lightly golden, tossing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely. In a large pot over low heat melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and thoroughly combine until smooth. Remove from heat and add the rice cereal one cup at a time. Fold in the toasted coconut.
- Press into a lightly greased 9x9 pan. Let cool completely. Cut into squares.
Products used in this recipe
(may include affiliate links)