Whenever I stumble upon a recipe like this, I’m reminded of old, old Reese’s peanut butter cup commercials where there are two people; one with a jar of peanut butter and one with a chocolate bar. The guy with the chocolate bar trips and his bar falls into the jar of peanut butter and then an argument ensues where each complains about their ruined snacks, until they taste the chocolate and peanut butter together, realize it’s delicious giving birth to the peanut butter cup. Ok, so maybe my Kix treats with bacon isn’t as spectacular, but it was born out of putting unlikely ingredients together.
As usual, I was in the mood for a little something sweet. I had marshmallows, but not rice krispies. I did have a box of Kix in the cupboard that Miles abandoned and automatically knew I was going to use it. These days, I don’t think there is one cereal that is off limits when it comes to marshmallow treats. I however, wanted to add a savory component and did have a few pieces of bacon left over in the fridge, so now there was something interesting happening.
I made the treats the way I normally do, made sure that I cooked the bacon until very crisp for added texture and waited impatiently for them to cool so I could eat them. I very reluctantly took them to the office to share. I could have easily eaten the entire pan by myself!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 package (about 40) large marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups Kix cereal
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked until very crisp
- In a large pot over low heat melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and thoroughly combine until smooth add vanilla and combine. Remove from heat and add the Kix cereal one cup at a time. Fold in the bacon.
- Press into a lightly greased 9x9 pan. Let cool completely. Cut into squares.