A few weeks ago, I stopped by Au Bon Pain for a little nosh on my way back to the office. My eyes were drawn to the “bento” style box of hummus, cucumber,almond/cashew mix, and grapes. It’s was perfect and surprisingly filling, but a little pricey for a daily habit. So I decided to make my own and keep it in the fridge at work. I bought a couple of hothouse cucumbers and sliced a little in the morning before leaving for work. Well the other week, I forgot to take my cucumber to work and didn’t notice until I looked in my fridge and only saw a container of hummus. By the end of the week, I was left with one-half eaten cucumbers and didn’t want them to go bad since I wasn’t going to the office the following week. So what was a girl to do? Make a hothouse cucumber salad with dill!
It was a total eureka moment. I love cucumber salads but never thought of making one on my own, until now. I was shocked at how easy and simple it was to prepare and it was by far the most refreshing salad I’ve had in a while. It’s the perfect food for a hot day. Well a hot week. I think the recipe only took about 10 minutes to prepare and uses very few ingredients. It’s usually served as a side dish, but I ate the entire bowl by myself!
Hothouse Cucumber Salad with Dill
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar ((two if you like it a little sweet))
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large hothouse cucumbers (, sliced thin (or your favorite cucumber))
- ¼ red onion (, thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill ((dried is fine too!))
- In a small jar, or bowl combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and shake vigorously until the sugar and salt have dissolved. In a large bowl, pour in the vinegar mixture. Toss in the cucumbers, red onions, and fresh dill. Cover and chill for at least 15 minutes.