So I’ve been playing around with pecan bar recipes and was intrigued by this one. It was super simple to put together (so I thought), so I decided to give it a try. I’ve never made caramel with brown sugar and was really interested to see how it would turn out.
Unfortunately, the recipe doesn’t say how long you should boil the sugar, so I wasn’t not sure if I was supposed to dissolve the brown sugar, or just bring it to a boil. Since I’m making caramel, I decided to try to dissolve the brown sugar. Fifteen minutes later, it never fully dissolved, so I moved on to the next step of adding the cream etc. The “caramel” is a little on the grainy, thin side, and then when I poured it over the graham crackers, the overlapping, fell apart and started to thicken and it became almost impossible to spread. I assumed that all would be well once it was in the oven. Well, after cooling for about 3 hours, it still looked grainy, and the graham cracker base is was a little on the wimpy side. The pic from the blog where I originally saw the recipe, looked like bark, mine looked more like a praline mess. I was super disappointed that it didn’t look like the picture, considered it a failure, and let it sit in the pan overnight.
The next day I pushed on and cut it. It broke apart like bark, but everything broke apart. The “caramel” and pecans included. The taste….ok. It tasted more like pralines on top of graham crackers. And by the way, I thought the graham cracker would be good, but after a few bites, I just wanted it to taste like short bread. I’ve been inspired to try it again, but with a traditional caramel and a shortbread base. For this recipe, I’m going to post links to the blog where I first saw this recipe, and also to the site where the recipe originated for you to compare pics.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup firmly light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Line a 15 x 10 inch sheet pan parchment paper. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in prepared pan, slightly overlapping edges.
- Combine sugar, butter, and cream in a medium saucepan; bringing to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until butter and sugar have dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading to coat.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide paper from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely. With a knife, cut into bars.