A friend of mine posted this recipe on my Facebook page and asked if I would make it his birthday which is still months away. Rice Krispies treats are a no-brainer, so I decided to whip up a batch a little sooner. Who knew it was possible to make a mistake with such a simple recipe?!?
Instead of really focusing, I decided to do a load of laundry, load/unload the dishwasher and talk to a friend on the phone while making the treats. Since it was so hot and I didn’t want to turn on the full oven to toast the pecans, I decided to use the broiler (note to self: start doing this all the time). The mistake was made when reaching for the bag of nuts. I grabbed walnuts instead of pecans. This mistake wasn’t noticed until I starting mixing the nuts in and tasted the treats. They were good, really good, but I could see how the pecans were the right choice for this recipe. I imagined it tasting like butter pecan ice cream, or a praline. These. Will. Be. Made. Again.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 16-ounce bag of miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 9 cups rice cereal
- Grease a 9x13 pan, or line with parchment paper. Melt butter over medium-low heat in large pot. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and stir until the brown sugar has dissolved. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla and stir. Add cereal and toasted walnuts to the melted marshmallow mixture and press into prepared pan. Let cool completely before cutting.